Thursday, November 20, 2008

kettles should not need annual replacement

I have a love/hate relationship with our OXO Good Grips teakettle. I love the idea - a cushioned handle that doesn't get hot, a spout that opens automatically when you tilt the kettle to pour it and a nice whistle to boot (so when I forget that I've put the kettle on...). Unfortunately there are some design/manufacturing flaws.

The little red tab on the handle of the first one gave out after a year or so which meant that the cushioned rubberized grip could slip (off even). They sent me a new one and included a return authorization so I could return the faulty one. After about a year, the replacement did the same thing. They replaced that one too but my husband and I were both less than pleased that the same flaw reappeared.

The third one broke this morning. The handle of the lid to the reservoir came off. Replacement lids are available, but backordered for a couple of months and they won't automatically send them because it's more than a 30 day backorder. I can return the kettle (at my expense) and they'll send a replacement after they receive it. My husband isn't going to be happy about replacing it again, but the postage is far less than a new kettle, especially since after reading reviews, there doesn't appear to be aything out there that folks are really satisfied with.

Overall I've been happy with the customer service though I'm not sure why they have previously replaced the kettle first and send me a postage paid return label while this time I have to send the faulty kettle first at my own expense (and also be without a kettle for a few weeks). I want to love this kettle, but the fact that 3 of them have broken, all after about a year, has me wondering about both design and manufacturing.

grump.

No comments: