Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas knitting progress

After a couple of false starts I've finally started making some progress on Georgia's knitted Christmas presents. Since we'll be going back east for Christmas, I wanted to make her a hat and some mittens. So far, I've mostly completed the FiberTrends ladybug hat for her. I still need to make and attach the spots, antennae and eyes an tuck in the ends, but the hat itself is complete. I may or may not make her a second hat, in a more standard stocking cap style, well see if I get to it.

The plan is to make coordinating mittens and socks and possibly a felted ladybug bag. Last night I made a first stab at a sock (as I made the cuff, I realized it was a little too fat for her wrist). It's too long so when I make the second one I'll try to correct that (need to trim an inch off) before ripping down and correcting the first one. I put in an afterthought hourglass heel so it's not AS big a deal to rip down and correct. yeah, me!

As for other mittens, I've talked for years about doing intentionally mismatched mittens and this would be the perfect time to start...perhaps some mice in assorted colors (white, grey, perhaps brown) or bears.

G has also requested purple mittens (purple currently being her favorite color) so when I go out looking for red worsted weight yarn that will felt, I'll see what I can turn up. Luckily it doesn't take very much to make a pair of socks or mittens for a 3-year-old.

Now if I can only manage to complete one of the pairs of socks I have started for Luke as well...

No comments: